How To Get Your SPARK In Gear! I often hear this from clients: “I have it all! Husband, kids, career, house, dog…..so why do I NOT feel happy?”
Do you know anyone like this? Or perhaps YOU feel this way? Once upon a time, I had said that myself. Not out loud of course. I wasn’t particularly proud of how I felt. And I will admit it took me a while to come to the realization that I felt this way.
Once I did I was then hit by an avalanche of other not-so-good feelings;
- Guilt (guilt, guilt)
- Self-judgment (“how could I be so ungrateful?”)
- Self-doubt (“how could I be so off the mark?”)
- Sadness (“I’ve somehow failed.”)
So, what did I do about it? Absolutely nothing….at first. I went back to my world of “doing-ness” like the warrior I was and used my desk as a shield to hide my true feelings until I no longer could.
Enter: Ms. Cranky Pants
Exit: Ms. Bad*ss
Frankly, I had lost my SPARK! I knew how to inspire and empower my staff. I knew how to support and encourage my family. But I was in a serious drought when it came to connecting with me! I mean, have you ever looking in the mirror and asked yourself, “who are you?” Well that happened a lot!
My secret mind-conversation sounded like:
“Exercise? Meditate? Are you serious? I barely have time to take a shower and brush my teeth! Maybe tomorrow.”
And tomorrow would come and it was just more of the same.
It took an illness that kicked my butt and had me out of commission for 8 weeks to finally stop because I frankly had no choice. It was an awakening of sorts which translated into making small changes with huge rewards.
And that’s what I really want you to hear. Don’t look at the whole enchilada and decide it’s too big to digest. Take small consistent bites and before you know it you’ll be asking for dessert!
Here are five simple concepts that you can put into play right now to get YOUR SPARK in gear!
S-top. I stopped doing the following things:
- Scheduling back-to-back meetings
- Solving everyone else’s problems
- Eating lunch at my desk
- Checking work emails after 7 p.m.
P-ower-up. I powered-up my engine by:
- Clearing clutter from my work area to allow energy to flow.
- Beginning each day by setting an intention. Then place it everywhere I can see it throughout the day as a reminder.
- Taking 15 minute breaks every 90 minutes (stretch, walk, breathe)
- Creating a beautiful water pitcher marked with the hours of the day to be sure I drank lots of water. (which actually resulted in more breaks!)
A-sk. I dropped out of the martyrdom club and started asking.
- I really need another 30 minutes before I can meet with you.
- I really need help picking my daughter up from dance practice.
- I really need you to be more prepared when we meet next time.
- Dear Universe….help…and thank you.
R-eserve. I reserved the right to say no:
- When I didn’t want to meet “Debbie Downer” for lunch.
- When I didn’t want to hear a complaint or gossip.
- When I didn’t want a guest to visit after a very long week.
K-indness. I said yes to thinking and being more kind to myself by:
- Going to bed when my body was telling me to.
- Incorporating visual beauty in my day.
- Energizing with some great music.
- Chamomile tea in my favorite tea cup.
- Writing in my journal to reconnect with my heart, values and vision.
Start small and simple. You want it to feel easy and even exciting. When I first started putting small things into place that supported my well-being, I really looked forward to the activity or the non-activity of quiet time. Even if it was only 5 – 10 minutes at a time. I felt like a kid who got permission to have fun. So, now it’s your turn! Give yourself permission to play! I mean it – write a permission slip with your name on it and activity and go do it!
And then something very interesting happened. Others around me began to catch the vibe. Co-workers became more aware of their own time and priorities and conversations became more focused and productive. My team began to feel more empowered as they offered solutions to roadblocks. It was like creating a ripple effect of consciousness in business.
What it is really all about is becoming “noticing” of where you are and what you are being and doing in that one singular moment, from moment-to-moment. Then you are awake. Then you are aware. Then you are free to make choices that SPARK your success, happiness and connection with yourself and others!
Paula G. Rosario
All Authenticity Celebrate Choice Courage Create Energy Shift Frustration Fun Goals Goddess Grace Gratitude Growth Guilty Pleasures Health Heart Imagination Imagine Inspiration Life Lessons Love Loving Miracle Mother-goddess Negative Statements Opposites Oprah Overwhelm Positive Statements Power Of Intention Rally Show Up For You Stay-at-home Moms Support Survival Thank You The Edge Of Madness Thrival Time Tv Vision Visualize What's Wrong? Woowoo Strategies For Success Working Moms Yin & Yang
What They Are Saying About Paula
Laura West, President & Chief Creative Officer, www.centerforjoyfulbusiness.com